Skip to main content

He Was My Friend

He was known as Ranger and a more fitting name there never has been.  Unencumbered he ranged throughout the neighborhood but every night he came to me for shelter, and everyday he came for safety, but most of all I think he came for love.

It was months after he first started showing up at my place before he ever allowed the first tentative touch.  He came and observed and found shelter in the barn.  Any attempt though to connect other than just by being present and he would bolt. 

I began by making a big to do of touching and petting Max, my dog, anytime Ranger was watching.  I made sure that he knew that it was pleasing to Max.  As the weeks past he began to reduce the physical distance and his personal safety zone began to diminish.  He felt safest when he could approach from behind so when he approached, I never turned to face him.  I always let him define his safety zone. 

Then one day there was contact.  The faintest touch of his nose to the back of my calf.   It was only momentary but it was, for me, joyous.  Over the following days, the touch lingered and investigated a bit more with each encounter but continued to remained tentative.
 
I began to lower my hand with the back of the hand facing backward.  It wasn't long until a little nose touched the back of my hand.  Then shortly thereafter, I turned the palm of my hand toward him and eventually my fingers gently scratched under his chin.

From there it was only a matter of a few days before he allowed his head to be scratched and soon his whole body to be petted.  Before long a good thorough petting became his expectation.  Rather than running when I dared look his way, thereafter, he always ran to me. 

His owner bought him as a grown dog. So no one knows his history but we can only guess as to how horrific it must have been.  His owner brought him home,  put a collar on him, let him lose, and that was the last time that Ranger ever made physical contact with him. 

He continued ranging throughout the neighborhood and found numerous places to dine.  Everyone in the neighbor came to know Ranger and he made many friends.  Nevertheless, there were only a few of us who he ever trusted with physical contact. 

He liked to walk with me and Max up the mountain behind my home.  No matter what time of day I set out, he'd be there and rarely did he miss a walk.  He'd run ahead or linger behind scouting out all the fascinating doggy scents but he always stayed close by and always knew exactly where I was.

One other thing Ranger loved to do was to chase certain vehicles.  It wasn't all vehicles, just certain ones.  I never knew what his distinctions were but he was very selective.  He'd run wildly out into the road and madly chase after them.  You could easily imagine him giving them a piece of his mind.  I tried my best to convey to him how dangerous this habit was.  Nevertheless, he couldn't give it up.  
 
Behavioral scientists have never been able to define love.  They dance around the subject.  They study attraction, attention, contact, and such things as pro-social relationship. These are aspects of human behavior that can be measured.  Neuroscientists can even observe through various imaging techniques brain changes relating to these phenomena.  But, few scientists have the courage to define these behaviors as love.

I don't know what Ranger felt and I don't know that I even know what love is but I felt tenderness, happiness, and connectedness.  In his presence I experienced companionship.  I like to think Ranger felt the same for me.
 
I had not seen Ranger for a little more than a month.  I made up stories in my mind that his owner had given him away and that he had found an even happier place to live.  I missed him terrible but hoped against hope that he was happy and well cared for where ever he was.


I happened to run into his owner at the feed store today.  He told me that Ranger had run out in front of a vehicle and the driver could do nothing to avoid running over him. 
   
I never fed Ranger.  He found physical nourishment elsewhere.  I was his shelter from the storm and his zone of safety from his most basic fears. 

Mostly, he was my friend and I his.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relaxed but Vigilant

Posted via email from Equine's Apprentice
Today I spent time with several of my psychology students engaged in mindfulness with horses.   I don't know exactly what the experience meant to the students but it was profoundly meaningful for me and the horses.   Coming together in mindfulness with these natural and powerful mediators is ineffable.   The connections the horses and students created were visceral.   The horses' responses to the mindfulness of the students were undeniable.   The horses went from curiously leery and apprehensive to being as peaceful and trusting as a new born baby.   The closest image of the experience that I can conjure, is that of watching a baby sleep. The students seemed moved by the experience as well.   That old saying of you can't give without receiving seems apropos.   The students gave gentle kindness and in returned received acceptance and trust. For a few hours today, the world expanded into a universe full of genuine unconditional acceptance and powerful peace.  

Athena Heart of Gold

She was deep in a heavily sedated sleep.   She hadn’t slept so deeply in months or even what seemed like ages.   However long, it was now warmly relaxing – an enormous relief.   Then, in the sedated but exhausted sleep, her breathing accelerated as her lungs valiantly pumped harder and deeper attempting to oxygenate and press onward a heart that was being stopped by the paralyzing agent flowing in her veins from the prick of the vet’s needle. One moment there was breath and life; the next instant all was still.   All was quiet.   She was released.   She was no longer burdened with a body that refused to allow her youthful spirit to thrive. She brought unconditional acceptance, undying loyalty, and unquestioning forgiveness.   She brought joy.   Her eyes were always full of youthful joy.   Even when youth fled and the body betrayed her, she continued to look out on the world with eager eyes of youth.   In her mind’s-eye she never aged.   She always saw life with the eager, w